Sunday, September 26, 2010

Contest Craze - Top 5 of 2011

Princess Bookie--as most of you already know--is having a mini-challenge naming our top five wanted books of 2011. I was planning on doing a post like this anyways, so here it is! Also, you may notice a trend in these books. In that all of them are mostly dystopian/post-apocalyptic. I can't help what I like!


5. The Water Wars by Cameron Stratcher



Release Date: January 1st, 2010

Short Summary: In a future where water is more precious then oil or gold, a brother and sister must face water pirates, guards, and government to save their friend and save themselves.

Why I want it: The cover. The plot. Plus, what looks like a story with a great sister/brother relationship. I feel like YA doesn't have enough stong sibling relationships, at least not one's that take center stage.

4. Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari

[Cover not available]

Release Date: 2010

Short Summary: In which a teenage girl struggles to survive in a post-apocalyptic New York City.

Why I want it: The story is very vague as of now, but what I've heard of it, I love! Plus New York City is so crazy already, who knows what it would be like in a post-apocalyptic setting.

3. All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

[Cover not available]

Release Date: 2011

Short Summary: Set in a dystopian future where chocolate and caffeine are contraband, teenage cellphone use is illegal, and water and paper are carefully rationed, the series relates the ascension and ultimate downfall of 16-year old Anya Balanchine, the heir apparent to an important and dangerous New York City crime family.

Why I want it: I've read both of Gabrielle Zevin's other books, and while I liked them both, I think this would could easily become my favorite. If you haven't already noticed a trend, I'm all about the plot, and if it's dystopian, I can dig it.

2. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

[Cover not available]

Release Date: [date not specified] 2011

Short Summary: A satire about a group of teen beauty queens whose plane crashes on a deserted island

Why I want it: Ok, confession time. I've never read anything by Libba Bray. I know, I know. She's apparently amazing, but none of her books have ever appealed to me. BUT THEN I found out about Beauty Queens, which the plot sounds unbelievably amazing. I love anything that has to do with deserted islands and surviving in a place out of one's element. Bring it on.

1. Delirium by Lauren Oliver



Release Date: February 1st, 2010

Short Summary: Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Why I want it: I LOVED LOVED LOVED Before I Fall. The writing was beautiful, and as soon as I put it down I could not wait for Laure Oliver's next book. I was ecstatic to find out about Delirium. The plot is fantastic and I need something to fill my dystopian addiction now that Mockingjay has come and gone. I envy everyone who has already gotten to read this.

2 comments:

  1. Beauty Queens sounds awesome; I hadn't heard anything about it but now I'm putting it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenna,
    How thrilled am I that Ashes, Ashes is on your 2011 list? Very!
    Thanks especially since the description that is out there IS vague.
    We've just finished the cover art but I can't show anything yet. I can promise you that it is powerful and eye-catching.
    Pub date (which I've just been told) is June 1 2011.
    The Water Wars and Gabrielle Zevin's book sound incredible and I am also a big fan of Lauren Oliver's.
    Thanks again,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete