Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review: "The Treasure Map of Boys" by E. Lockhart



The Treasure Map of Boys by E. Lockhart
Release Date: July 28th, 2009


Summary:
(Spoilers for the two previous Ruby Oliver novels) Ruby is back at Tate Prep, and it's her thirty-seventh week in the state of Noboyfriend. Her panic attacks are bad, her love life is even worse, and what's more: Noel is writing her notes, Jackson is giving her frogs, Gideon is helping her cook, and Finn is making her brownies. Rumors are flying, and Ruby's already-sucky reputation is heading downhill. Not only that, she's also: running a bake sale, learning the secrets of heavymetal therapy, encountering some seriously smelly feet, defending the rights of pygmy goats, and bodyguarding Noel from unwanted advances. In this companion novel to The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book, Ruby struggles to secure some sort of mental health, to understand what constitutes a real friendship, and to find true love--if such a thing exists.

My Thoughts:

The Treasure Map of Boys is a quirky and hilarious look at High School student Ruby Oliver's daily trials and tribulations, which includes boys, old and new friends, a bake sale, therapy, and a great dane named Polka-dot.

I've always been a fan of this series, so I was super excited to get a copy of this before it was released. Ruby is one of the funniest characters I've ever encountered, and I love reading everything she has to say. However, this wasn't my favorite book in the series. Ruby, overall, seemed indecisive and even at some points annoying.

Gladly, though, there was a lot more in this book that I liked than disliked. As always, the cliffnotes add a unique twist to the story. Plus, I loved reading more about Ruby's friendships with both Hutch and Meghan. And I hope to see more of that in the future if the books continue.

E. Lockhart again weaves undeniable comedy with heartfelt emotion in the third book in the popular Ruby Oliver series. I would recommend this to anyone who has read the previous two books in the series, and to everyone else I recommend the first book (The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart)

4 Stars

4 comments:

  1. WOWZERS! What an AWESOME review!
    Your good...
    My reviews sound retarted after reading this one!
    Why do you got to be so smart???
    (Loser)
    Sincerley your BFFN,
    -Liz Tapioka (not really my last name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made me VERY curious about this series :)

    Gosh I love the cover for this one it reminds me of candy and SNL's Mr. Bill hahaha

    I didn't know this series was hilarious. I'll really have to check it out bc I love comedy. A little too much actually hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mocha Latte. Spankin' and I have rabbit fever right now. I think if people read these books they could almost make their own secret language. It's hilarious and I hope there's another one.

    ReplyDelete